Coconut Rice Crispy Treats with Dark Chocolate Drizzle
There's something special about rice krispie treats. They're reminiscent of those days when we spent baking with mom in the kitchen and getting our hands sticky and gooey. Somehow, we didn't care and were more than happy to lick our fingers and spatula clean.
Well, here's your chance to have fun and get messy again. These gluten free rice krispies are simply amazing and the chocolate drizzle just adds an extra layer of fun. Enjoy and don't forget to lick the spatula!
- ½ cup Pumpkin Spiced Donut Coconut Butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 cups gluten-free rice crisps cereal
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips, for the chocolate drizzle
- Shredded coconut
- Line an 8x8 inch square pan with parchment paper. Combine the coconut butter, maple syrup, ghee and sea salt in a large pot over medium-low heat. Once melted, remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the cereal and vanilla extract with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly to the corners of the dish - you may need to press it down with your fingers.
- Stick the dish in the freezer for about 10 minutes to allow it to firm up.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate drizzle: melt the chocolate in a double boiler (a metal pan over a small saucepan filled ½ inch with water, on a low boil) OR in a microwave-safe dish. Set the microwave for 3-4 30 second intervals, stirring after each time.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted, take the treats out of the freezer, and drizzle chocolate all over them. Sprinkle with shredded coconut, for garnish.
- Store these in the refrigerator.
Recipe and Pictures by Real Food with Dana for Nikki’s Coconut Butter