Cookies and Cream Coconut Butter Cups
This is a two for one recipe where you can make the chocolate cookies to enjoy on their own and then add them to coconut butter cups for a fun treat! This Paleo and Gluten Free treat was made by our friend Denise, who has some pretty awesome recipes on her blog!
- Vanilla Cake Batter Coconut Butter
- 1/2 cup crushed chocolate cookies (recipe below)
- 1-2 tbsp coconut cream
For the chocolate cookies:
- 1/2 cup grassfed butter, soften at room temperature
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 5 tbsp maple sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Make the chocolate cookies. In a bowl of a stand mixer fitting with a paddle attachment, cream together the soften butter, maple syrup, and maple sugar until light and fluffy. beat in the egg, vanilla, and cream of tartar until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, beat until combined. Let dough rest in fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Using a cookie scoop, scoop out dough and space about 2 inches apart on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet. Bake for 11-12 minutes at 350F. Remove from oven and let cookies cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- To make the coconut butter cups, line a standard muffin tin with paper muffin liners. Spoon 1-2 tbsp of softened Nikki's Coconut butter Vanilla Cake Batter into paper liners. Place in fridge to harden.
- Meanwhile, add chocolate cookies in a food processor (~ 6-8 2-inch cookies). Pulse into it becomes like fine sand. Remove from processor bowl and into another bowl. Add 1-2 Tbsp coconut cream. Mix until it becomes paste like.
- Remove the hardened coconut butter from the fridge, scoop about 1 tbsp of cookie paste into each coconut butter cup. Press down to make an even layer. Then add an additional 1-2 tbsp of Vanilla Cake Batter Coconut Butter. Cool in fridge until hardened.
Recipe and photos contributed by Denise of denimeloneats.blogspot.com. Check out her blog for more paleo and gluten free treats!